Thursday, February 25, 2010

Spending the Day at Pirate City With My Little Brothers...

The local schools in my area had an admin half day today. That worked out awesome for me because I had the morning off from work. I wanted to check out some spring training action as I hadn’t been all week, but I figured I would leave the planning up to my little brother. On a side note, I would whole-heartedly recommend volunteering as a big brother or big sister to anyone and everyone reading this post. It is very rewarding and it’s just a fun thing to do. You can get more info from the Big Brothers national website HERE. Anyway, I called my little brothers mother last night and she confirmed that he wanted to go to Pirates camp. I asked if any of his friends wanted to come and a few hours later she called and asked how many kids I could handle. Well, I sometimes have a rough time taking care of myself, but when baseball is involved, I say the more the merrier! I knew we would have a crowd so I decided to rent a car for the day, went with a minivan, fortunately. When I arrived at lil bros house (we will call him Dan for the sake of this post) he had 7 friends with him. All of them had their baseball mitts and wanted to come along. We all piled into the car and hit Pirate City. I brought along all of the Pirates cards that I had and we split them up among the kids when we got there. I didn’t have too many current Pirates at all, but I had quite a few Akinori Iwamura cards, so every boy got at least 3 of them. I also gave each one a ball (not official league, but they worked) and a sharpie magic marker. We all watched BP for a while and then went off to the side to play catch together. Chuck Tanner came by on his golf cart and pretended that he was scouting the kids. He posed for some pictures with them (which I won’t post here) and he signed some of the boy’s baseballs even though they had no idea who he was. After an hour and a half we stopped our game of catch and returned to watch the big leaguers take BP. That wasn’t too exciting for them because they didn’t have a great view of what was going on from behind the batting cages. The nice thing was that as each guy finished his round of BP, they came out to sign autographs for my boys. I only had cards for them of about 6-10 players each, but I bought “Dan” a gray tee Pirates tee-shirt and they each had baseballs, so by the end of the day each boy had at least 20 autographs. Not every player stopped to sign for them. They were most disappointed that Andrew McCutchen didn’t come over as he seemed to be the kid’s favorite. Bobby Crosby and Ryan Doumit both denied our requests as did most of the pitching staff. Some of the most friendly players and best signers included (fortunately) Akinori Iwamura, Ryan Church, Garrett Jones, Brandon Jones, Tony Sanchez, Ramon Vazquez, Steve Pearce, Lastings Milledge, Jonathan Van Every, Brandon Moss, Chuck Tanner and Javier Lopez. The two best signers were Ryan Church and Aki. I only had 1 Church card for each kid, but he signed all of them, plus their baseballs, shirts, rosters and then posed for pictures with each kid and then signed all of their gloves. I had 25 cards of Aki (all in a Rays uniform) so each boy got 3 and then after I dropped them all off, “Dan” gave me back 3 autographed cards-an Aki, Brandon Jones and a Garrett Jones (my other favorite Pirate). It made me want to cry. Seriously, it did. Aki was in more of a hurry than Church, but he did sign a total of 25 cards and pose for a group photo with the boys. His English was better than I remembered with the Rays as he said “how are you” to each boy. It was weird for me to see my one of my favorite Rays in another jersey, but I am glad that he landed on a team that appreciates him and he really seems to get along great with everybody. I am not very impressed with the Pirates staff, but offensively, I think they are a team that can get on base and manufacture runs. I want to thank “Dan” and all of his friends for a fantastic day. I think the two of us will ride our bicycles out to Pirate City again next week and once the games begin, we will go to one each week. There will be more on Aki the Pirate in my next post, stay tuned!!! Spring training isn’t going to last much longer, but if anyone has any cards of current Pirates that they can spare for my next field trip, I would appreciate it. These boys loved getting autographs of big league ballplayers, but other than “Dan” who has a binder full of cards from me, the other kids had never seen baseball cards before. The hobby is in a lot of ways too costly for most of the next generation and I would hate to see my favorite hobby dry up and go away, so please, send your common cards of Pirates and Rays over here! I will also add that when players like McCutchen snub their young fans, it doesn’t help the games popularity any either. Go Rays! Go Aki! Troll out.

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant job Troll. You gave all those kids a day they will never forget. Way to share the hobby and your passion for the game. I'm proud to know you and call you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story! I'm glad the kids and you had a good time. I'm collecting some Pirates and Rays cards to send over. I hope you guys can put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you all had a great day. I will try to round up some cards over the weekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me there, Troll!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice.

    good to see all the former Bravos among the best and friendliest with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saint Troll..... dude your a saint, there no other words..... Great to see there a few pepole that do allot of good out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do good work, my man.

    That Brandon Jones Heritage card is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that was totally awesome. One of the best posts I've ever read on a card blog - because you are making a difference in the lives of the kids. Thanks for sharing.

    Coincidentally, I'm trying to get rid of a lot of cards that I don't need/want, and I'll look for Pirates for you. And I KNOW I have a ton of extra Rays.

    Great to hear that Aki is doing well in a Pirates uniform. He was one of my favorite Rays too, and I'll never forget the moment when he secured the last out of the 2008 ALCS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really nice thing for you to do Troll, can you take me next time, pay for the airfare and all? Hahaha, you're such a good guy, I'm glad I know you! Drew

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice of you Troll, great story, thanks for sharing. You inspired to get a stack together for the next time you go. Will mail out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is like the Pirates are trying to collect players who had 2008 Topps or Bowman rookie card autograph. There were 10 rookie autos in 2008 and 5 were affiated with the Pirates. Ross Olendorf, Nyjer Morgan, Steve Pearce, Brandon Jones. 4 of the 19 2008 Topps Chrome Autos (Kevin Hart, Evan Meek, Morgan and Olendorf). Even one of the few players from 2008 Bowman chrome auto to Make the majors Daniel McCutchen is a pirate

    ReplyDelete