Saturday, June 20, 2009

Another Trade With Roll Out The Barrel

I had sent Ed from Roll Out The Barrel a handful of Brew Crew cards a few weeks back, he sent a starter lot of 2008 Heritage High numbers in return. I thought the trade was complete, but mega-awesome guy that he is; he sent me another package, over flowing with cool Rays cards. Here’s a sample of what he sent…
I love the photography on the regular 2008 Upper Decks. I never get tired of getting these. I received a bunch of 2008 Upper Deck Rays cards, including reliever Scott Dohmann, who is playing in Japan right now for the Hiroshima Toyo Carp.
He sent along a stack (looks like the entire team set) of 2006 Topps cards. This was just 3 years ago, but Carl Crawford is the only guy included in the set who is still on the team. I can’t believe all 3 of these guys are playing for our enemies in the American League East.
Another x-Ray who is doing well is Jonny Gomes. He was signed to a minor league contract by the Reds this offseason. He started the year in AAA, but got the call up last month and has been on a tear, keeping his average north of .300 since joining the Reds.
He included the first card I’ve seen from the 2009 Goudey set, card #186 of lefty, Scott Kazmir. He included another team set from ’08 Goudey, too. The coolest (read shiniest) card in the bunch is this 2008 Topps Heritage high-number card of
Andy Sonnanstine. It’s a chrome refractor and is chrome-a-riffic! It is serial numbered 292/559. I love the serial numbered card; it makes me feel like I am part of an exclusive club.
A 2007 Carlos Pena GOLD card. I’ve been getting a lot of Topps goldies in trade lately, but this is my first Pena, and they are serial numbered, too. This one is 0201/2007. Gold club, baby!
To go with the stack of 2006 Topps, there was a bunch of 2007 Topps and some cool 2008 Topps, too. Since I didn’t rip any of this, it was a great treat.
There were a couple of 2007 Fleer Ultras, including card #176 of the speedy Carl Crawford. He included a handful of 2008 Upper Deck “A Piece of History” cards including ex-Ray Jeff Ridgway (traded to Braves for Willy Aybar), Jeff Nieman, Justin Ruggiano and Carl Crawford. The cards look cool with the gray border and the carnival font listing their position, but the name of the card indicates that it should have some type of a piece of history included. There isn’t, good looking cards though. Its kind of like getting “Co-Signers” cards that don’t have autographs on them, it’s confusing.
I really like the 2008 Turkey Red cards. Although BJ looks like a golfer in this shot, I enjoy that the back of the card lists everyone as a “Prominent Baseball Player”, very classy.
He threw in a 2007 Red, too. This one has a portrait of Carl Crawford making a diving catch. Suitable for framing.
He rounded out the package with a couple of Longo cards, including a 2009 Topps that actually has stats on the back! Thanks again Ed! You rock out loud! I was planning having you and Thorzul duke it out next time I pull a shiny Brewers card, but I think you just earned the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment