Sunday, July 5, 2009

RIP Steve McNair

Last week we got a text message from our friend Shane, the drummer for Choose Your Poison (one of the awesome bands on our record label, Bacon Towne Records). The message was short. It read, “Every time we’ve played a show lately a celebrity dies. So far we have Farrah Fawcett, then David Carradine, and now Billy Mays. I hope you guys don’t know anybody famous.”
Choose Your Poison played Saturday night in Wisconsin. Steve McNair was killed that night. I just got home from work and haven’t read or heard any details yet. I would hardly say I knew Steve, but I did get to do a lengthy sit-down interview with him in 2000. His nephew, Elliot McNair, who played college basketball at North Carolina Central (and lived in the same town as I do), introduced us. I really don’t remember too much about the conversation, he was one of the only football players that I have ever formally interviewed, as I really don’t follow the sport. He was personable, funny and was a baseball fan, too.
Time will tell what happened, but regardless of the reason or events leading to his murder or death, it is a sad situation. RIP Steve McNair.

No comments:

Post a Comment