Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This Post May or May Not Involve Images of 2011 Allen and Ginter...

The weekend is over and even though I worked all weekend, there is something a little easier about my weekend work… Monday is here and that means long hours and HARD work and not as much time to post, BUT I still intend to maintain at least a pack a day habit…
I have 78 points and 14 more packs to rip and post and I remain confident that the 2011 Gint-A-Cuffs CROWN WILL BE MINE! Here is what I got in pack #11.
We start out with a horizontal (and really blurry) card, #289 of one of the most underrated and overlooked sluggers in all of baseball. White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko has topped 20 homers for the 9th straight season and 13th time overall. Oh, despite the horrible scan, this IS a Ginter Code card which nets me 3 points, ha ha!
Next up is card #191 of Matt Guy, the “King of Cornhole”. When the wife pulled this card she said “hey doesn’t that look like Billy C?” Billy is a mutual friend of ours who is OBSESSED with cornhole. Awesome. I HAD to scan the back of the card because I never thought the word cornhole would appear on my blog, especially not 6 times in one post…
Like Matt Guy, the next 2 cards are of folks who don’t play baseball… One of them brings me nothing, the other costs me, but the cards look really cool scanned next to each other. Both look really excited, as though they were a part of a 20-point pack… They are card #234 of Iron (wo)Man Chrissie Wellington and #40 of John McEnroe. Chrissie doesn’t bring me anything (points wise), but Johnny Mac costs me a point for being a jerk…After Konerko this pack had 4 consecutive non-baseball playing people… The next one is card #159 of Shawn Michaels. A quick glance at the front and I thought he was a country singer or perhaps a NASCAR driver, but it is actually Shawn Michaels the pro wrestler. The same Shawn Michaels who I watched as a kid when he was a member of the Midnight Rockers with Marty Jannetty. I don’t think Marty Jannety’s star burns that bright these days, but Shawn Michaels has made some serious money in the sports entertainment biz…
For my 5th straight non-baseball card from this pack of baseball cards we have card #MMF18 of psychoanalysist Sigmund Freud. I took a semester of Psych and Sociology in comm34 of Iron (wo)Man Chrissie Wellington and #40 of John McEnroe. Chrissie doesn’t bring me unity college, so of course I am an expert on all things Freud. More importantly I used to watch Cheers and later Frasier quite often and Kelsey Grammer’s character referenced Freud often. I guess you can say I am a student of Freud and have continued his research throughout my life… You can read the back of the card and become an expert just like me. Even though his expertise wasn’t in mathematics, I am aware that this card scores me 2 points, ha!
The 7th card in pack 11 actually has a baseball player on it. Not a great one, but it isn’t a Yankee, so I ain’t complaining… It is card #HH22 of White Sox starter John Danks. Danks is 6-9 for the ChiSox this season and he hails from the self-proclaimed “Sports Capital of Texas”, Round Rock. Hometown Heroes card = 1 more point!
The last card in this pack is of the miniature variety, card #13 of A’s starter Brett Anderson. I don't if Anderson has what it takes to replace the 2007 Eleanor Roosevelt in my Frankenset... BA is 3-6 in 13 starts for Oakland this season. Ironically he came to the A’s a few years back in exchange for Dan Haren… It is a normal, not a short print and he isn’t anyone’s fave player, so I get no points for Mr. Anderson. Oh well, I did score 5 points for this pack and I am up to 83 points after 11 packs. Much more Gint-A-Cuffs fun to come, stay tuned! As always, everything is up for trade. Thanks for reading. Go Rays! Troll out.

No comments:

Post a Comment