Saturday, July 17, 2010

At The End of the Rainbow AKA PC MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I don't know why, but if I get a card of one of my favorite players and I learn that there other versions of the SAME card available in other colors-I WANT THEM! I have become obsessed with Topps Parallels. It started with the GOLD cards and now I am craving the black versions. Platinum cards of Carl Crawford are still just legend to me, but someday I hope to see and own one of them. It is the platinum 1/1 cards that have kept me from completing the Topps rainbow for any Carl Crawford cards. With only one copy of each card they just don't pop up often. I think there are only 3 different 2010 Topps Platinum cards on eBay right now. The series 2 Nick Markakis is up for bid right now if anyone is interested... I should get back on track though. This post isn't about Nick Markakis, Topps Baseball nor my inability to finish a Topps rainbow parallel, this post is about Carl Crawford and 2010 Bowman and my ability to fulfill that rainbow. Yep, I did it. It was one of my collecting goals for 2010 and I achieved it and I can say that I am the only Crawford collector to do it. I am probably the only one who wanted to, but still... It all started with the black (base) version that came in a trade when Bowman first broke. I got the orange version a few weeks later in a trade. The next two were purchased from a reader and the final card was an eBay purchase. The gold one ended up being the last one I found and that came in the mail on Monday. I have been itching to post them all ever since. I really don't know what to write about them other than that as an obsessive completest player collector I feel pretty happy right now... Check em out, that is CC safe at home in Miami with a black border, a blue border, an orange border, a gold border and finally a RED BORDER! I like the back of the red card the best... Sweet. I am pretty happy with these. As I write this post CC is still in the midst of an MVP type season. He is batting .322 with 11 homers, 50 RBI, 108 hits, 21 doubles, 6 triples and 31 steals. He has scored 70 runs, has a .380 on base percentage and a .519 SLG%. Last night he had 2 hits in a loss against the Yanks in New York. Thanks for checking out my latest acquisitions... As a player collector I am on top of the world right now. Regular readers may recall that I am chasing the printing plate versions of this card-I am still stalled out waiting to find the magenta one. Now if the Rays crush the Yankees tonight I will be REALLY happy. If you have any CC cards you think I might need, drop me an email. Bacontowne at yahoo dot com. I LOVE this hobby! Go Rays! troll out.

8 comments:

  1. CONGRATS.

    This is a huge accomplishment, my man. I wish to have similar ones, eventually.

    I didn't even know red ones existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cool, thanks for sharing, definitely an awesome thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very cool. I'm far too lazy (or cheap) to go chasing red borders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome dude, nice! I usually cut my rainbows off at anything #/25 and under, so that's great you got everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are great bud.... congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up on the Markakis. I hope Beardy and I don't get into a bidding war for it! I'm glad to see that you finished your CC rainbow. Just knowing that it all started out by me sending you the regular base card makes me feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bowman is always great for these rainbows. I've got the Brignac one from 2008, except for the Superfractor of course. 1 of 1s in rainbows are the most annoying thing in the world until you own them. Then they're great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss this post....a Play at the Plate rainbow....I love it! Congrats Bacon!

    ReplyDelete