Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Relapse and A Trade-Okay, Just a Trade...

As far behind as I am in trade posts, I really should be posting them in order, starting from the oldest and moving on up, but I don’t feel like doing that today. This package, which I just received today, is going to cut straight to the front of the line for a few reasons. First, it is only 4 cards which means I can scan and post it quickly and I have a ton of stuff to do today. Second, one of these cards was on my original Magnificent Seven Most Wanted List. I never got it, but did get the other six cards, so it carried over to be number 2 on the second list. It would have number 1 on the Fab Fourteen list, but I knew that it was en route to me. Third reason-this was a fun and hilarious trade for me. I wrote to this person and begged for two cards he had that I really wanted. Turns out I had nothing that he wanted, but he agreed to trade if I sent him the worst relic card I had. That is a tough call, because I have many bad relics, but most I wanted to hang onto because they are so bad! I decided on an Eric Chavez white jersey swatch (sorry Eric!) and he agreed that was okay. Trade worked out. Sweet. The third reason is that this is the first trade that I have done with Wax Pack Relapse, he didn’t get much in return, but I want to try and impress him so we can trade again…The final reason is, well, its my blog and I can post whatever I want. How’s that?
Okay, I think everyone is familiar with the Wax Pack Relapse blog… He has been steadily giving away stacks of very shiny Bowman’s Best cards for a while now. If you haven’t signed up to get your hands on these, go check out the blog- http://waxpackrelapse.blogspot.com/ While you are over there, check out his want lists and his trade lists. He has every card available for trade all nice and clearly posted. That is how I found the elusive card I had been hunting for so long. I’m gonna save that card for last and start with the sweet, fun-sized Goodwins that he threw in as a bonus. Second base is my favorite position; it is what I used to play. Although Brian Roberts is a close second, Ian Kinsler third and Aaron Hill fourth-my favorite second baseman of the modern era is Akinori Iwamura. He can hit, field, run, and he does it all with style. I am so nervous that the stupid Rays aren’t going to re-sign him. If they don’t, that is a horrible mistake and I really hope he doesn’t end up on the Yankees or something silly like that. Anyway, here is Aki in standard mini and black bordered (Gypsy back) splendor.
The other two cards he sent are from the 2008 Heritage high number series. I need just 4 more cards from that set to finish it. I got a bunch from New York Joe of Cobb and Halladay fame, and I will post them soon. For now, here are the two that I got from WPR. Card #710 of Eric Hurley is awesome because it is a short print and I needed it, not because I have any idea who he is. I could look his stats up, but I really don’t feel like it today. It’s a Saturday, it’s a beautiful day and I have a lot to do, so I will just steal some facts from him off the back of his card. He was picked by the Rangers 30th overall in the 2004 draft and he went to high school with Billy Butler of the Royals. Cool. The final card is super cool because it is the last Tampa Bay Rays short print that I didn’t have from any Heritage set 2007-2009. I still need to get my hands on an extra copy for the team set, but for now, I am thrilled with this. It is card #702 of Rays right fielder Gabe Gross. Gabe is a platoon guy and an above average fielding outfielder. I thought he would be out of a job this year with all of the outfielders the Rays had waiting in AAA, but they didn’t push Gabe out. In fact they added Gabe Kapler for a duel-Gabe-theory. Cool. The back of the card tells me that Gabe (Gross) was the starting quarterback during his days at Auburn. I did not that. Thanks back of the card and a huge thank you to Wax Pack Relapse for helping me out with these much needed cards! Troll out.

1 comment:

  1. You better get your butt moving and start post about 3 times a day.... We need your writing !!

    ReplyDelete