Sunday, October 4, 2009

Collecting Themes, I Love This Hobby!!!!

The other day Big D from the “Hey That’s Mine” blog posted about a new collection he’s started. I knew he was a big fan of Kurt Suzuki already, but he expanded his collection to a new theme, now collecting any and all cards of the hardest working guys on the field, the catchers-in full gear of course. There are a few people out there who collect themes, me included. I love the thrill of getting a super awesome low serial numbered autograph relic, but theme collecting keeps this hobby fun. So far the theme collections that I know of are as follows:
The Night Owl collects night cards. The ladies at Dinged Corners collect cards depicting old technology like giant cell phones. Brian from Play at the Plate now collects, you guessed it, cards showing plays at the plate. The Great Sports Name Hall of Fame collects cards of guys with weird names and Long Fly Ball To Because… collects cards of players bunting. I think everybody loves cards of guys with afros and pitchers hitting are kind of neat, too. I have 3 sub genres or themes that I collect, too. My collections are very small and I am always looking to grow them, especially the last one. I like cards of players wearing Negro League uniforms and I also like cards of guys holding microphones. I actually traded this Garko card away with someone who was trying to finish the Bowman Heritage set, fortunately I scanned it first. My number one favorite theme of all time, and I really can’t get enough of these, is cards of guys wearing sombreros. I love it. I love this hobby, I love writing about it and I love collecting. Anyone who tells you that they won't touch overproduced cards from the late 80's and 90's has never searched a box for themes... Does anyone else out there collect theme cards? I want to know! Go Rays, beat those Yankees! Gotta go to work. Troll out.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha that card of Bip is priceless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, a sombrero theme!! I'll bet that doesn't take many pages in the binder! Nice post troll, I knew someone was collecting those bunt cards, but didn't know who.

    ReplyDelete