Thursday, September 10, 2009

Million Dollar Infield TTM Autos!

I like to steal ideas from other bloggers, there I said it… I remember reading that Zack from Autographed Cards was going to try and collect 100 or 1000 or some crazy number of autographed cards from the 1981 Donruss set. Good luck on that one! I decided that I wanna try and get at least 50 cards signed from this year’s Allen & Ginter. I have my first one, so I am well on my way! I have 80 different cards out there floating around the postal service and my fingers are crossed. I first saw this card on Cardboard Junkie’s blog and it was pretty much the reason that I started buying so much Ginter this year. I pulled this card pretty quick. To give some history on it, the photo rendering came from a photo taken in 1969, which was long after Mr. Moore’s playing career was over. It was from an Old-Timer’s game in Atlanta where the 1957 Braves took on veterans of the Atlanta Black Cracker’s and alumni from the Atlanta Crackers… I don’t know who won the game or even who participated from the ’57 Braves. Either way I was able to get Mr. Moore’s address and wrote him a letter. My Great-Uncle had played ball with Red before his death (during a game) in the 40’s. As it turns out, Red knew him and remembered and sent back a very nice and very personal letter. He also signed up this card, with the date and all and even returned it in a top-loader! Red Rocks! I wish I didn’t have to go to work because I would love to go on and on about this awesome card and his awesome career… I will say that one day I was talking baseball with Buck O’Neil and I said to Buck-“Out of you, Buck Leonard and Mule Suttles, who was the best at fielding your position?” He said (paraphrased from memory) “Well, both Suttles and Leonard were twice as good, but if you wanna see a magician at first base, go look up Red Moore”. He went on, but I can’t really remember, but apparently the guy was a human vacuum cleaner at the corner. Unfortunately he outlived Buck and pretty much everyone he played with… Red Moore was a part of the “Million Dollar Infield” along with Ray Dandridge, Willie Wells and Dick Seay. Actually, Mule Suttles was the original first baseman for that dream infield, but Red Moore filled in admirably later on in the 40’s. Thanks so much for the autograph and the fine letter Mr. Moore! Wish me luck on getting many more. As an end note, does anyone else collect Moments and Milestones? I am chasing the Carlos Pena and Scott Kazmir cards. For whatever reason I have a knack for pulling Twinkies. I have a Francisco Liriano card #66 from 2007 (18/29) and two Johan Santana's from 2008, card #87. One of them is strikeout 216 (007/150) and the other is K #149 (024/150). They're on the block if anyone needs em...E-mail me at bacontowne at yahoooooo. Go Rays! Troll out.

1 comment:

  1. I always love to hear the Buck O'Neil stories. He was a great asset to the game. The Royals have a new statue of him in their Hall of Fame.

    Good luck with the A&Gs. Looks like you have been doing pretty good the last couple of days with the TTMs. I hope that continues for you!

    ReplyDelete