Sunday, October 11, 2009

Part One of a Trade With Saints of the Cheap Seats-1978 Topps Edition!!!

As promised I will start the week with one of the biggest trades I’ve done in a long time. Big in a quantity sense, but it’s a quantity of high quality cards that makes it a very big trade. I will show it in two parts as this trade tackled two separate aspects of my collection-he sent me some very nice Tampa Bay Rays cards, but for the sake of this 1st post, I will focus on the 120 cards he sent from my 1978 Topps needs list. Posting 120 different cards can make for a very long post, hell, I can make a one-card trade into a very long post… I have picked my favorite cards that he sent and I will try and keep the words to a minimum and just show what I loved about this trade and this set. The hair, the side burns, the uniforms, I love it all! I will start with some of the Hall of Famers-he didn’t skimp on them at all, sending nine, yes 9 Hall of Famer cards (all in near-mint plus condition!) including:
Steve Carlton, Lou Brock, Fergie Jenkins, Tom Seaver, Bruce Sutter, Dennis Eckersley and Jim Rice. Those are the highlights, but they aren’t the only thing I love about this set. I like (and he included) the cards of catchers turned sportscasters, outfielders turned authors, players who would become coaches and third basemen who married pro-golfers. He also includes a déjà-vu all over again card showing history that may be about to repeat itself. Cards that give you a look at uniforms of the past and rewind back to the days when players wore their jackets under their uniforms instead of over them. You get the toothy close-ups, the mega moustaches and the fros. There are also Record Breakers cards, cards of mad-Hungarians, cards of people who should be in the Hall of Fame, cards of All Stars and lastly, I will leave you with a card of two run bad-ass run producers. This may be the smallest word count of any post I have ever done. Wow. Oh, one more thing... Has anyone ever tried to play the game on the back of the card? It ain't easy, because nearly every card is a ground out or pop-up, but Dan sent me an extra base hit-Who wants to play? Thanks again to Dan from Saints of the Cheap Seats for all these awesome 1978 Topps and about 100 more that I didn’t scan. Part two of post coming soon. If you haven’t already signed up for the SotCS group case break, please do so now. You can get info at http://cheapseatsaints.blogspot.com/ My want list for 1978 is updated, the set is 90% complete and I can definitely use some help getting it done! Thanks again! Go Rays! Troll out.

2 comments:

  1. We played the games on the back as kids, and there really is more than ground outs and pop ups. In fact, there's a whole mess of doubles. And a lot of our games end up being scores you'd find when the wind is blowing out at Wrigley: 19-16.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice cards...you can't go wrong with just about any set from the 70s compared to more modern cards.

    ReplyDelete